My very 1st thrift store shopping trip, I purchased a pair of red leather pumps. They were in good condition and only $5.00. As I was going toward the shoes I already had in my mind that I wasn't going to find anything and then I look up and those red shoes caught my attention.
The store was crowded so I couldn't believe those shoes were still on the shelf. They were left there just for me. yea!!!! Give thrift stores a chance. My biggest shopping trip recently, I purchased 10 outfits for my daughter's summer clothes for $60. If I would have went somewhere else I probably would have spent well over $200 for 10 outfits elsewhere.
- Wash every piece of clothing before you wear it. It may have been washed before but you don't that so please wash it anyway. Even if the item is brand new and still have the tag on them wash it anyway.
- Use washing powder and a scented fabric softener when washing. Some thrift stores just have this smell that tends to get into the clothes sometimes. Its not a stinky smell I just prefer whatever I buy from thrift stores to smell like my own washing powder and fabric softener. Then you have to think about this too someone else had it before you so please wash, wash, wash.
- Know the store new shipment days so you can know what days you need to come in and shop.
- Don't be afraid to buy out of season. When that season comes then you will be ready. If may be fall but you may find a lot of summer shirts. Remember you can buy now and use later.You may go back in there to look for those same items that you liked out of season and it may not be there.
- Try on clothes over your clothes to give you some kind of idea if its going to be too big or too small. If there is no fitting room then find out the store's refund and exchange policy.
Buy it anyway. You will eventually find something to go with it. Never leave a good deal at the store. You don't want that "I should of got that when I seen it moment".
I haven't found full outfits yet. I am still in the process of trying to find complete outfits in one thrift store location. This is where your patience kicks in. I hope you have some. It is my goal to find complete outfits in one thrift store shopping trip. Mostly what I have found is shirts. You can do what I do. I find a shirt at the thrift store and then end up finding pants at another store. Sometimes you have to do it this way.
Now I have this problem with pants that I have found so far. I go to the store, find several pair of dress pants thinking they would fit me so I didn't try them on. When I get home the pants did not fit. So a little trial and error there. I have found out that just because it comes in your size doesn't mean that its going to fit you right. It all depends on the designer of the clothes. I wear a medium in most shirts but in some brands I wear a small. I wear a size 5 in pants but those pants that I just mentioned were a size 5 and they were too big. So if the store has a fitting room please try on the clothes.
Another thing about thrift stores is that it offers a lot of colors and patterns and it gives you the opportunity to be fashionally creative.
Thrift store shopping can be a wonderful experience. Have fun with it. How you look on the outside determines how you feel in the inside. So whatever deals you find work it like its the best outfit you got.